5/16/2012

National Buoy Data


In science class we had to take a look at a website (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/) and compare some of the buoys found around the world. When you click on a buoy you'll see what it measures, I took three buoy and wrote down:

  • Station Number
  • Location
  • Owner
  • Wave Height (WV)
  • Dominant Wave Period (DWP)
  • Air Temperature (AT)
  • Water Temperature (WT)

I think that buoys help a lot. They help meteorologists, fishermen, and even countries in general. They help meteorologists by giving them a prediction, fishermen or boatmen by saying that today is a good or bad day to go fishing, buoys really help people who are on the beach or want to, they warn you by saying that the water is too cold or that today it's a bad weather so there could be high waves. The most helpful buoys that could save a lot of people lives are the one located in the ocean. They can tell you if a tsunami it going to approach. 
My opinion is that the highest waves usually are far away from the bays. Other than the ones I made I found one near the UK that measured 15 ft. It was the tallest I could find!
Laurientian Fan


Georgian Bay


Aberporth Buoy

2 comments:

  1. I like that you put the "graphics" made ​​by you. Moreover, the topic is `very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work Francesca! I like that you included images of your notes!

    ReplyDelete